Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wednesday



Good morning! I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. Sing it with me! C'mon, you can do it. Looks like there is a chance my dreams will come true. A chance.

Last night was Tempo Tuesday, and the weather was a bit frightful--damp, cool, windy. Once you get going, though, it is really not bad at all. By the time I hit my second tempo mile, I was holding my gloves and hat in my hands. I was working pretty hard at that point. The gloves and hat felt good for the cool-down.

We had 7 show up last night to work: Bill, John, Jim, Jake, Tim, Chris, and me. I would be the "least of these." It's not a position I have held historically, but a couple of factors are in play: 1) everyone slower than me is not showing up, and 2) I have slowed down (temporarily, I hope). Anyway, I am ok with it.

Last night we did 3 tempo miles, and I got to thinking about that. That, I think, is the first time I have run 3 consecutive hard miles since the Persimmon 5K of 2013! I messed up my hamstrings that day and then went into Ironman mode, which required no speedwork. I guess I am encouraging myself regarding my present slowness--it's been a long time since I've done anything fast.

OK, having said all that, here's what I did last night:

Mile 1: 7:21.6
Mile 2: 7:29.9
Mile 3: 7:33.4

I was surprised and encouraged by the first mile. The second mile was my goal pace, and on the third mile, I was feeling really strange toward the end and slowed just a bit on purpose. Overall, I was very pleased. I'm also pleased we are going to stick with 3 mile tempos for another week or two. I hope to lower my overall time, with consistent pacing, to 22:15 next time.

Bill and Jake both ran around 6:40, while everyone else, I think, ran around the 7:10 mark. We are all easing into it, looking to keep lowering our times. I am fairly confident I can get back to at least 7 minutes per mile, hopefully faster. A couple of years ago, I was in the 6:40s. Patience.

Yesterday was a good day of work. Lots of calls and lots of stuff. I felt fairly useful at the end of it all. It's an interesting life, for sure.

Last night after the run, I came home and was thrilled to see Maddie's car in the driveway. As I went to enter the house, I saw sweet little Cora in the window looking at me, being held up by Kedra. Her little smile when she saw me pretty much made my week.

OK another busy day ahead, full of adventure...

No comments: