Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday


Good morning! How are you on this new day of a new week? It's going to nearly be hot today. Please don't complain. Remember the winter and keep your thoughts in check.

Let's see, I didn't check in with you Friday. It was another busy, multi-tasking Friday. I got the smoker going early. I am in the process of smoking meat for 300 people for graduation parties. I am doing it over 3 smoke sessions. Friday was the second, and while I was at it, I smoked a brisket and two chickens for mother's day. I have one session left for 6 pork shoulders. Next week.

With the smoker rolling along well, I left to run and counsel a couple, not at the same time. The run went fine and the counseling did too. In between the two, I managed to do several other duties I am covering right now. With all that finished, I headed back to find the smoker still going along at a perfect temp.

The smoker smoked and I continued to work. I hope to get back to smoking being a relaxing activity. Maybe one of these days. You could take that sentence before last out of context and get me in trouble, probably even in Colorado, considering my profession.

Saturday's plan was for a 40ish mile ride, followed by a run, which is called a brick workout in tri language. We were supposed to depart at 8, but it was raining and raining hard. We delayed and started at 9 and shortened the ride to 30 miles. We managed to get it in without any rain. It sprinkled a few times but that was all.

After getting back from the ride, it was time to don the running shoes. Due to hamstring injuries, this would be my first brick of the year. It started off pretty well, but about a quarter mile in, I had a sharp stride-stopping jolt to my left hamstring. I stopped and told the others to go on. I stretched a little and to my surprise I was able to run/walk back to the truck without problem. I think I could have continued. I will find out Saturday in Terra Haute.

Saturday morning is the Terra Haute tri, an Olympic distance event. Naturally I have a few concerns:
  • Will I be able to run 5 miles after swimming and riding (25 miles)?
  • How will the swim go, 800 meters in open water, without any open water practice? 
  • The forecast says it will be in the low 40s Saturday - could be a cool swim and ride.
Putting the concerns aside, I feel fairly confident I will do well. Doing well is defined as completing all three disciplines without major problems. I am ready to go after it with a solid, steady effort.

Before I get to Terra Haute, I have a crazy busy week. I have the privilege of doing a funeral today for a sweet lady from Shoals. Then tomorrow I will be involved all day with a funeral for my uncle. He was a great man, and it will be good to see everyone involved. There are a couple of other extra things going on this week as well. It's all good. I will jump into hyper-efficient mode.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: