Monday, April 14, 2014

Monday


Good Monday morning! I hope it's not Monday mourning for you. Get it? Word play so early. What can I say?

It's raining and thermometer is standing on the edge of the cliff ready to jump. It's going to be a slow, wet, windy descent into the 30s. I can't say I'm excited about it, but the good news is it will bounce back and soon we will complain about the heat. The long, extended winter makes me think it is more like mid-March than mid-April We are almost to May and really warm temps. OK, that's the weather commentary for today.

The weekend was good but busy. I worked most of the day on Friday, and then Saturday I spoke three times at a youth conference. That went well, and I enjoyed it. It did keep me mostly inside on a beautiful day. I did get out and enjoy some of the evening. I did not do any endurance activity on Saturday. The rest was good. I was keenly aware six of my buddies were on a 100 mile ride. It was the first time for a couple of them.

I decided to go out yesterday afternoon for a little while on the bike. I knew it was windy, but, wow it was really windy. I like to go into the wind first and get the hard part done (insert sermon here). The return then becomes the reward for the hard work. I headed right into it for quite a while and managed a total of 20 miles. I thought I might do less, but I was pleased to knock off 20 miles. Heading north was sweet. It was easy to hold 25-30 mph most of the way back. I had to dodge a few Amish kids in their Sunday attire. We are the Amish Country Cyclists, you know.

Lester ran a half marathon on Saturday in Carmel and did really well. He broke 1.35 on very light miles for the year. He juggles a demanding job and new family and tries to fit fitness in. It's a challenge, but this performance gave him, I think, some confidence and encouragement.  It was Cora's first race. She plans to be there when I finish Ironman Florida. This was good prep for that. ha ha

Another busy week is awaiting. Easter Sunday is coming, which means a different sort of week and a different sort of preparation. It's all good. I do need to get after it, so... Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: