Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Quick Adaptation



It was around 12 degrees with a light wind. I went for a run and didn’t think twice about doing it. It has been that kind of winter in Indiana. In a normal winter, I probably would have thought twice before deciding to run and might have sought an alternative activity.

With a several nights below zero, coupled with many days with wind chills well below zero, twelve degrees sounds pretty good. Really. I was thinking about that while I was running and knocking tiny icicles off my eyelashes.

It’s amazing how quickly we adapt and get used to our environment. I lived for a few years, years ago, in a temperate climate. It didn’t take long before the mid 40s were "freezing" cold. We adjust our thinking quickly.

The same thing happens in other areas as well. It’s so easy to allow the culture to change our thinking. Those of us living in the Story of God need to know what it says. Paul reminds Christians living in Rome along time ago (Romans 12:2):

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect."

I need to know The Story and stick to it, allowing God to ground my thinking. That requires spending time with it, reading it, thinking about it, living it out.

No comments: