Friday, November 08, 2013

Be Real



Bill grew up in a small town and moved away to attend college and law school. He decided to come back to the small town, thinking he would be honored for doing well. He really wanted to impress everyone, hoping to find significance from the praise of others.

He opened his new law office, but business was very slow. One day, he saw a man coming up the sidewalk. He decided to make a big impression on this new client. As the man came to the door, Bill picked up the phone, motioning the man in. Bill began talking.

"No. Absolutely not! You tell those jokers in New York that I won't settle this case for less than one million."

"Yes. The Appeals Court has agreed to hear that case next week. I'll be handling the primary argument and the other members of my team will provide support."

Bill continued in similar fashion for about five minutes. The man sat patiently through it all. Finally, Bill put down the phone and turned to the man. "I'm sorry for the delay, but as you can see, I'm very busy. What can I do for you?"

The man replied, "I'm from the phone company. I came to hook up your phone."

Some spend a fair amount of time trying to find significance and validation by impressing others. If we belong to Christ, then our significance and validation are found in being his brother and being a beloved son or daughter of our Heavenly Father.

Galatians 3:26,27 — So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

No comments: