Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wednesday a.m.

Luke & Lydia
Good morning! Wednesday! It will take me a long time to not associate this day with the talking camel in the Geico commercial. One of our rides through Amish country goes right by a farm that has a couple of camels. Really, I'm not making this up. Of course as we go by we all re-enact the commercial. It's not that creative, but it makes me laugh every time.

Yesterday I spent considerable time getting things ready for the big road trip to Honduras. The biggest challenge in some ways is getting the documents in order. Coached by Marc Tindall, I created documents for crossing into Mexico, Guatemala, and Honduras.

I wrote the documents in English, and then, using Google Translate, translated them into Spanish. Then I sent them to Marc to see if they made sense. He gave me thumbs up on all of them .

Google Translate is pretty cool. I have a fair amount of confidence in it. I have Facebook messaged with one of my friends in Honduras who speaks very little English. The other day we carried on a conversation that lasted probably 45 minutes. I would translate his words into English, and then I would type mine in English, translate, cut and paste. He never asked me to repeat anything, so I guess it was all good. Of course he could think I am totally nuts and engaged me purely for entertainment value.

I wonder if we could use Google Translate around here with some people who speak extreme forms of hick? ha ha. Just kidding. It does crack me up, however, that some of the reality shows from the south and other places have subtitles. Hmmm. Now, I don't watch such shows. A friend told me all this.

Today is another gift from God and I want to live it the best I can. That means driving the ambulance around. I will take it to Bloomington today. I want to get it out on the road and run it for a while. If it is going to have a problem, it is better that it happen here rather than in Mexico.

By the way, I am not worried or scared about driving through Central America. For me it is an adventure, for sure, but it is also a matter of faith. I believe God will protect us. We are doing something in the name of Jesus to help the poorest of the poor. This is not some crazy thing, you know, like jumping out of an airplane. It actually has a purpose.

I need to go. I have a lot to do today. I hope your day goes really well.

No comments: