Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Self-Esteem



Some of us who are older like to point out that "back in the day" not everyone got a trophy. Only the winners got trophies.

Now everyone gets one. I’ve coached little children who hoped they would lose their tournament game so they could get their trophy sooner rather than later. Ha ha.

Trophies for all seems to be a part of a move to make sure that children develop good self-esteem, which is not bad. Right? Some wonder, however, if we are not creating narcissistic monsters who will not be able to handle the realities of a harsh world.

On the other end of things, we do not want children (or adults) who hate and reject themselves, who feel like they should have an "L" tattooed on their foreheads to signify they are losers.

How do we strike the balance?

I find the most helpful thought is that God considers me his beloved child. Even though I am terribly flawed and sin often, he still loves me and allows me to be in relationship with him through grace, mercy and forgiveness.

Thank God.

No comments: