Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wednesday a.m.

Good morning! Let me reveal something about myself this morning. Ready? I have a good relationship with 25 letters of the alphabet, but I don't know Y. Hey, I heard that yesterday and thought it was funny. Of course most of what I think is funny is met with, at best, groans. Usually it is met with blank looks. Here's something else for you. I am wishing it would warm up!

We still do not have our main source of heat for the house, which is a wood burning furnace. I'm waiting on the chimney to be repaired. Heating our home presently is quite a challenge. I am using a fireplace upstairs and turn on the expensive electric furnace a little bit each morning to knock off the chill in the rest of the house. My office is usually 50 degrees when I get up. It's up to 57 now, so I am basking in the heat.

I talked to a good friend yesterday about work, creativity, etc. It was a good conversation about preaching ministry and its unique challenges. The older I get the more I see everything life is about faithfulness. I just try to keep doing the right things in the right way. Some days are better than others. Some days you fail, but you keep doing and keep being. Each day presents a new opportunity.

Creativity is such a funny thing. Sometimes it's there. Then all of a sudden it's gone. "Wait! Please, I'm begging you! Come back!" I've read a book or two about creativity. While you can't force it, there are things you can do. Basically you keep reading and thinking, loading up with information. I read a lot, and I think that helps. I try to read a book a week. I think somehow all the stuff that goes in through reading becomes a part of who we are. It has to do something. Right? I try to read fairly widely. This is easier, thanks to a lot of books that are free (or cheap) on Kindle. I get tweets and Facebook posts from groups that point to free Kindlle books.

Last night was Tempo Tuesday, and it was a cold windy evening. Bill suggested, in part due to the weather, that we change things up a bit. He suggested 1 mile cruise intervals, meaning, after a warm up, we would run 1 mile, rest 1 minute, and then repeat. My triple tired legs from Monday, liked the idea. I was not especially even, but I'll take what I did. I did 6:45, 6:39, and 6:50.

Today it's more study, more visits, more meetings, and a few more miles. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: