Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wednesday a.m.

This first paragraph is dedicated to all the Garmin haters out there. Just kidding. Garmins do seem to be a bit polarizing. I love mine but only use it as a tool. It does not perfectly measure things, but it's pretty close. The people who are enslaved to them, and like to argue about distances based on Garmin's measurements vs. wheeled distances, make it hard for all of us. ha ha. Hey, you know what? I know that most of you do not care in the least about this. I was just looking for a fresh way to start this blog post.
 
Well, that was an interesting night. I knew going to bed that life-threatening, end-of-the-world, storms would arrive in the middle of my precious sleep. Sure enough they arrived. I woke up when the power went off, which was some time before 3, I think. Then Kedra's phone went off, saying that we were under a tornado warning. I had no way of seeing the radar, and she wanted to go to the basement. I usually just stay put, especially if I can see the radar and see that the warning might be for north or south of here.
 
To the basement we went. Luke's room. Good-bye sleep. At least the power came back on pretty quickly. Our  house did not blow away. Have to focus on the positive, right? ha ha. Oh well.
 
Last night was Tempo Tuesday. I missed last week, and the week before we just did mile repeats. This was my first effort of this training cycle. I did not want to make the mistake I made last training cycle, which was to set the bar too high so that improvement was hard to come by. I decided to run with John T, who is running pretty well after a long injury. He said something about 7:10/7:15 pace. I liked the idea.
 
Off we went. First mile: 7:12. Not bad, just about right. Mile two is the hard in some ways, because it begins on a grade. I did it in 7:06, which is fine. The third mile has two uphills in it, including a long uphill to the finish. I managed it in 7:13. My overall time was 21:31, for an average of, drum roll please, 7:10 per mile. ha ha. I was pleased with it. I hope to move that down below 7 minute miles over the course of the next few weeks. I have a long way to go to get to 6:26, which is what it will take to break 20 minutes in the 5K. One step at a time...
 
OK, enough of that. I had another interesting day of helping people yesterday. The need is overwhelming at times. It's messy and confusing a lot of the time, but it's what I am called to do. I enjoy it most of the time.
 
Today I am focused on getting more ready for Honduras. I've been enough times, 8 I think, that I know what to expect and what to take. It still takes a little while to get it all together. I am really looking forward to this trip!
 
Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: