Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Enough


Enough.

That’s an interesting word, pregnant with lots of ideas.

How do you define and/or measure it? What is enough? How much is enough?

That’s really hard to figure out, isn’t it?

I ran into this recently in Proverbs (30:7-9)

"Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God."

The person of wisdom prays for enough. Are we bold enough to pray for that? It is a prayer of faith and trust.

My wife recently pointed me to this poem, written by Bob Perks:

I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.
I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.
I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.
I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.
I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.
I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.
I wish you enough "Hello’s" to get you through the final "Goodbye."

If I read the Story of God correctly, then I think there is consistent call from God for us to believe that he is enough. That realization leads to peace, joy, salvation, and the ability to deal with whatever happens.

No comments: