Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thursday a.m.


Good morning! Guess what's on my mind this morning? That's right! Honduras. I love going there for many reasons, and one of them is the children. They are so precious.

Today I plan to get the bulk of my packing and organizing done. I have a procedure that involves putting things on a spare bed. I start a week or two before I travel. When I see something I'm going to take, it goes on the bed. I will also put little notes there of things I need to get etc. Today I start compiling and organizing all that. By doing that today, I should expose things I forgot and still have time to make the needed corrections. Now, didn't you find that little foray into my mind interesting? Wake up!

I managed to crank out another 6 miles yesterday morning, before the temps dropped and the wind blew too hard. I now need 9 more today and tomorrow to get my 30 miles before flying out on Saturday morning. I also hope to get on the bike trainer each day and then add the pool on Friday night.

January is just about over, which is hard to believe. I don't think I mentioned it, but January was a fairly strict diet month for me. I gained about 5 pounds at the end of last year, which was not surprising since I was eating like a pig. I don't really enjoy doing that in lots of ways but it happens at times. Anyway, January was my month to reverse that, and I actually dropped 7 pounds and feel really really good. I'm down to a little less than my Monumental Marathon weight, so I am right where I need/want to be. Maintain! Ramping up miles on the road, bike, and in the pool should take care of that part.

Yesterday was a good day. There was a project that I was working on, trying to get someone some heat after a furnace failure. Partnering with others and seeing a project through is always satisfying. Hopefully this woman, who works hard, had a warm house last night. I don't know this person very well, but she represents the working poor. They just can't afford a thing like this. Related to this is my frustration when gas prices rise 50 cents at a time. It hurts us all, but it really hurts people who are barely making it. Some faceless greedy manager somewhere decides to make a few extra bucks, perhaps pushing a poor person back onto welfare because he can't afford to get to work.

OK, I better get after it. Lots to do today... Thanks for coming by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The spare bed tradition can be applied to prepping for your first tri.

THG