Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Can't take it with you



I once thought I was clever when I said, "You never see a hearse towing a trailer." Well, then the internet came along.

The point I used to make is still valid. When you die, you cannot take your stuff with you.

"For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." (1 Timothy 6:7)

Money is pretty tricky stuff, dangerous stuff, especially if you love it.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (1 Timothy 6:10)

Richard Foster, in the wonderful book, "Celebration of Discipline," says this about money and stuff.

1. Recognize that it is all a gift from God.
2. Hold it lightly not tightly.
3. If someone needs it more than me, then I’ll give it to them.

Jesus presents a lot of different thoughts about money. I like this one, found in Luke 16.

"I tell you, use worldly wealth to gain friends for yourselves, so that when it is gone, you will be welcomed into eternal dwellings."

He is saying to help people in need, and by doing so you are investing in them and in your future. You are showing that you trust God and understand what he’s done for you. It all makes a difference now and later.

Don’t be afraid. Go out and use your money to help people. You can’t take it with you.

No comments: