Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday Prayer


How about a prayer on Monday, a prayer that is so real and helpful, especially if we are wrestling with our sins and failures?

It’s from the Psalms (51) and the headline introducing it says, "A psalm of David. When the prophet Nathan came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba." Wow, what a failure, yet David knows God will forgive him. Do we believe the same?

See if these excerpts are helpful to you. They sure are to me.

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion
blot out my transgressions.
Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you are proved right when you speak
and justified when you judge.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it;
you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart,
O God, you will not despise.

Amen.

No comments: