Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday a.m.

Hola! How about a little Spanish to begin the day? Two weeks from today I will be in bed in Honduras, waiting for the sun to come up at 6ish local time. They are presently 2 hours behind us. I will be there stocking up my coffee supplies (amongst other things). I've run out of Honduran coffee, which is really sad. I wonder how many pounds you are allowed to bring back without an import license? I think my record is 12 pounds. I will probably top that on this next trip.
 
Honduras is on my mind a lot. I am thinking of our man Marc T. this morning. He is driving, by himself, from Texas to Honduras in a pickup truck. I told him there is a fine line between dedication, commitment, faith and plain crazy. He should have me riding shotgun. Not literally. I do believe he will be fine, and I don't think he is crazy.
 
How was your weekend? Mine was intense, instructive, and helpful. We are working with a church consultant to help improve our leadership and effectiveness. This weekend some of us spent around 10 hours with him. Lots and lots of question, challenges, dialogue, as he gathered information. It's going to be really helpful I believe.
 
One of my former students, a guy who has battled all kinds of addictions and anger issues, had a great weekend. He has been sober for a little over a year and is really working hard on his relationship with God and others. He wrote me and told me that he walked in on a guy that was literally about to kill himself at that moment. My friend believes God directed his steps to this desperate man. He talked the guy out of it, sharing his faith and hope for hours. The man in despair listened and the next day went to a meeting to get on a path toward redemption. I'm leaving out lots of details, but it's a really neat story. Encouraging.
 
I finished up my 30 miles of running for the week on late Friday afternoon. Getting 30 this week is going to be a little more difficult with the cold weather, accompanied by strong winds at times. Our old expression will come into play this week: "There are no bad days in which to run, just bad running clothes." I've got some heavier layers located, so I will be fine.
 
Swimming is on the agenda for tonight. Eight o'clock is late for me, but that's when the pool is open. I think I had a dream about swimming last night. I am now recalling it, and it was weird. Not too weird, just a little weird,  you know, like me.
 
I hope your Monday, as well as your week, goes well! Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: