Tuesday, January 22, 2013

God in the Rear View Mirror


Recently I read a book about giving thanks as a way of life. Perhaps you’ve heard of it or read it, "One Thousand Gifts," by Ann Voskamp.

Toward the end of the book, she says something that really catches my attention and helps me think through some things.

God reveals Himself in rearview mirrors. And I’ve an inkling that there are times when we need to drive a long, long distance, before we can look back and see God’s back in the rearview mirror. Maybe sometimes about as far as heaven—that kind of distance.

Wow, now that’s a helpful image for me! Sometimes it seems God, in the midst of our struggles, is absent.

Inaudible. Invisible.

Walking by faith allows of us to trust that he is present, and those eyes of faith often allow us to see, well after the fact, that indeed God was right there with us, even though we did not see nor hear him at the time.

This helps us in our present struggles. Right? Some day we will look back and see God was there. When I look back over my life, I can see this being a truth proven by one experience after another. Can you see it in your life?

Perhaps there are some things that you are still waiting to see evidence of God’s presence. Keep driving. Don’t give up.

Keep driving!

Check your mirror from time to time, and keep driving.

No comments: