Friday, January 04, 2013

2013 Endurance Goals


I've had these written down for a few days but haven't taken to the time to publish them, until now.

First, a look back at 2012. Here's what I wrote on January 10, 2012. That post included some non-athletic goals, which I will save for another post, but in case you are curious, I did meet those goals.

2012

Last year was a pretty good year for me.

Running

My running goals included 1500 miles, which I met. I did not meet my goal of 3:29:59 at Boston. It was too stinkin hot to even try! If you want the details, then go back and read this. Boston was a great experience, and, as things like this do, it is getting sweeter the further I get from it. I had a vague goal of doing well in the Persimmon 5K. I guess I met it by finishing 2nd in my age group with a decent (but not great) time. My other goal was to do a fall marathon as a part of Ironman training. I ran Monumental in Indy and met that goal.

Biking

My biking goals were, for the most part, vague and not too specific, not measurable.  My main goal was to do RAIN - Ride Across INdiana, and I did. Here's the rather boring report, but it does include a link to the rather dramatic 2011 event. My other goals were to get stronger and faster, and I definitely did both of those. I did do 3 centuries, I think, leading up to RAIN, and my total miles for 2012 were 2247. I did not have a mileage goal last year. That changes for this year.

Swimming/Triathlon

Again, I had goals that were not that measurable. The biggest goal was not to drown. Clearly I met that one. I did a couple of informal triathlons but did not do a sanctioned event. The one I hoped to do was cancelled due to the drought. I can't say that was super satisfied with my progress in swimming, but if you look at where I started, then I did go a long, long way. Measured against what I need to do to complete an Ironman--2.4 miles--there is a long, long way to go. It is a process and I am looking for really good progress this year.

2013

OK, here we go for this year.

Running

I hope to cover a total of 1560 miles this year. That works out to 30 miles per week. I have friends and acquaintances who run 50-100+ per week, but they are rare. Most of my friends run in the 1000 to 2000 range, which I think is reasonable for me at 54 years old.

This may be the biggest goal and the most difficult goal for 2012: I hope to run sub 20 minutes in the Persimmon 5K. I think I am capable of getting back there, but it has been a long, long time. It will take some work, but, hey, I like work.

I plan to run the Monumental Marathon and qualify for Boston again. If my Ironman goal of 2014 works out, then I will consider running Boston in 2015. The race this fall would qualify me for 2015. Have to plan ahead! If Ironman gets pushed off a year, and I don't plan for it to, then I would not do Boston in '15.

Biking

My bike goals will be a little more specific and measurable this year. I hope to cover a total of 3120 miles for the year, which is a 60 mile per week average. This is a considerable increase from last year. I will have to spend some time on the trainer to do that, and I plan to. The bulk of the miles will be from April through August.

I hope to do BAIL, which is Bike Across ILlinois. This is an informal ride being organized by Jim Sowders and others. We are looking at a 2 day event, probably early in the summer. That should be fun, and it is motivation to do some trainer miles to be in a good shape early in the summer.

My other goal is to average 20 mph in a triathlon.

Swimming/Triathlon

My goal this year is pretty simple: become proficient in distance swimming, which will be measured by completing sanctioned events.  I have a fairly ambition goal of doing the Terra Haute triathlon on May 21. It has an 800 meter swim, followed by a 25 mile ride, followed by a 5 mile run. It's all about the swim. It will be a wet suit swim, and I have one. The wet suit makes it easier, providing buoyancy.

From Terra Haute I was planning to progress to a Half Ironman, which is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile ride, followed by a 13.1 run. I was hoping to shoot for the one in Muncie, but it takes place while I am in Honduras. I will half to look for other options. I hope to do a few other tris throughout the summer. The ones I do will be dictated, likely, by what my friends are doing.

While I hoped to do a Half Ironman this summer, I am not too concerned about it. I think I can do one next year as part of a build up toward the Full Ironman (2.4, 112, 26.2), which hopefully will happen in Panama City in November of 2014. We'll see...

Other

I plan to work on my core a little more this year and to maintain better eating habits throughout the year. I tend to eat really really well or pretty poorly. I want to strike a better balance. I know, I know, no measurable goals present. Maybe it's just a guide for this year?

I am really looking forward to this year and these goals, hoping and praying to be blessed, again, with a year without injuries. I thank God he has given me a healthy body and hope to use it to bring glory to him. I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). I've been bought at a price and want to honor God with my body (1 Corinthians 6:19,20).

My enduring friends are so important to me. I wouldn't be considering any of this without them. They have stretched me, supported, and encouraged me. There is so much power in community!

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very VERY impressive, Allen! You're making this nearly 35 year old 'kid' look bad. Kidding of course. Keep pm the great and inspiring work!