Thursday, December 13, 2012

Deeper Trust



Can imagine being a young teen girl approached by an awesome angel, probably clothed in bright white light?

He tells you things you don’t understand: you’ll conceive while a virgin and then give birth to a boy named Jesus who will be the Son of God and the Messiah. The angel sums up his presentation to a puzzled Mary by saying, "Nothing is impossible with God."

Mary’s ultimate response (Luke 1:38)? "I am the Lord’s servant. May it be to me as you have said."

I wonder how many times, when challenged, she remembered that divine encounter? I wonder how many times she had to repeat her humble response back to herself?

Recently I read an article about a well-known preacher (John Piper). In it he says this.

"Don't question in the dark what God showed you in the light. Darkness comes. In the middle of it, the future looks blank. The temptation to quit is huge. Don't. You will argue with yourself that there is no way forward. But with God, nothing is impossible. He has more ropes and ladders and tunnels out of pits than you can conceive. Wait. Pray without ceasing. Hope."

I’m pretty sure Mary would "amen" that, because she probably had to practice it. A lot.

God, that’s what I want for Christmas. Please give me the gift of a deeper trust.

No comments: