Monday, October 29, 2012

Monday a.m.

Walking the line
Good morning! I hope you are well on this windy cool Monday morning. Sandy is announcing her presence, even way over here. She's a whopper of a storm.

How was your weekend? I think mine went pretty well. I don't recall any bad experiences. Friday was a wet day, so I stayed inside most of it. I took a little time off in the afternoon, and then we had an extended family gathering that included a trip to Texas Roadhouse. It was good.

Saturday morning I ran my last 10 miler before the Monumental Marathon, which is Saturday. We had a fairly good group for the 10 miles. The weather was a little on the cool and windy side, but it wasn't too bad. Tapering is the theme for this week. I'll do 5 today, 4 tomorrow, 3 Wednesday, and then rest on Thursday and Friday. I wish I could tell you that I was excited and eager to run the marathon.

Why am I running this marathon? Well, that's a question I've been asking myself lately. I don't plan to go to Boston in 2014, so it is not to qualify for it. Lester backed off his qualifying attempt weeks ago. If you remember, I said I would try qualify in case he did. My original intent in running a fall marathon was to keep me fit and focused on a distant goal. That distant goal is Ironman Panama City in 2014. It is the first weekend in November, so I am looking at something 2 years off.

I want to keep my running fitness level high in the spring and fall, focus on the swim in the winter, and build the bike miles in the summer. That's the plan, so that's why I am running a marathon. Sounds good! I know I can run the distance, so now it becomes a matter of how hard to push.

Rebecca was able to Skype us on Saturday. We don't have enough bandwidth at home to handle the video portion very well, so we went to my sister's house. It was so good to see and to hear Rebecca. She is doing well and only has about 6 weeks left. She has had so many life-changing experiences already.

I guess I better get started on this week, so I'll jump off this and onto something else. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: