Thursday, August 02, 2012

Thursday a.m.

The dump at Tegucigalpa - feeding the "least of these."
Good morning! How are you? This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it!

Yesterday was another packed one. A little bit of a summer sabbatical has energized me, which is what is was designed to do. I feel new life and creativity in my old mind and body. I had a good run yesterday morning and didn't really stop running the rest of the day.

My day including lunch with a young man who is trying to escape a past that includes drugs, alcohol, and promiscuity that produced several kids. He is working hard and fighting the fight. Through his life I get a glimpse into a world that is so foreign to me and probably many of you reading this.

He is better off than many that he speaks of. Many do not have a place to call their own, so they live here and there. No cars. If they have cars, they have no money for gas. A lot of them work, but they receive minimum wage. I know so much of their situation in life is tied to choices, but even for those who are trying really hard to overcome the past, like my friend, it is really hard to make it work.

I admire this guy deeply. He is back in school, taking care of his kids, and trying to do the "next right thing in the right way." I'm helping him as much as he'll let me. That's another thing I like about him. He is hesitant to ask/receive help. He is not looking for a hand-out -- not even close. He is appreciative of the help he receives, even though it is hard for him to take it.

On the other end of life, I saw a man who, last week, buried his wife of 64 years. He's an interesting man, a good man, a man who enjoys and knows how to tell a story or two. He's a fighter and is determined to go on. I stood on holy ground last week as I watched his final moments with his wife, right before they closed the lid on her coffin. It was powerful.

Last night I spent time in counseling with a couple who are getting married in a few weeks. Pre-marital counseling is always interesting to me. Everyone is usually pretty positive and idealistic. My job is introduce the reality they will face down the road. At least I think that's my job - ha ha.

This morning I am going to ride with a couple of guys. I am looking forward to that. After that I will be focused on getting ready for Sunday. Lots to do... I hope to get in the pool tonight. I am looking at a triathlon on August 18th in Indy.

No comments: