Friday, August 03, 2012

Friday a.m.

Good morning! Are you ready for Friday? I thought you were! This week, like all of them, seemed to go by very quickly. I've enjoyed this week for the most part. I've made some moves toward a routine and am moving along in lots of areas. Progress. It's a good thing! I like to say that life is a process and we are looking for progress.

I got up early yesterday, as usual, and did a fair amount of reading and being quiet. Being quiet when the rest of the world is quiet and mostly in bed works out well for me. One of my favorite simple pleasures is to wake up to freshly brewed coffee. I like hold a warm cup in my hands, close to my heart. (Insert jokes here.)

Right at 8 a.m. Tim the Elder (a grandpa to be!) and Troy the Young and I rolled out of the Lighthouse bookstore parking lot. It was beautiful yesterday morning, and, believe it or not, for a few moments, my arms were on the chilly side! It didn't take long to warm up, however. We had a nice 31ish mile ride. Tim is doing a tri in Columbus tomorrow, so I listened carefully to his plans, always learning from him. We talked about my first tri and things to think about.

Last night I did much better in the pool, but can I do 500 yards in the open water in a triathlon on August 18th? I'm not sure, but I am leaning toward giving it a shot. What do I have to lose? My life. By drowning. Well, that probably won't happen. I will be so slow that the people in the boats who watch over the swimmers will circle around me. They will be yawning the whole way, waiting for me to finish.

If I can get out of the water, then I can make up a lot of time on the bike and do well in the run, I hope. Of course the first "official" tri (I did the informal Steve N Me and Jim N I tris) is about finishing and doing it well, not necessarily fast. My ultimate goal, of course, is a full Ironman in November of 2014.

Here in a few minutes, I am going to do a short brick workout, followed by several varied activities, including helping 2 couples who are having a huge yard sale in our gym tomorrow. They are raising money to adopt children. Isn't that great?

Tomorrow I plan to run 10 miles beginning at 7 a.m. from Parkview. I think a group is forming for this. Then at 10:30 Iron Bill and I (and others?) are riding 30+ miles from Lighthouse. 





No comments: