Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday afternoon

Just missed!
Ben is not a huge fan of this picture that was in the paper Saturday. He actually just missed the quarterback on a blitz. He had his leg but could not hang on. This picture was shot right after that. The scrimmage was good, and Ben had a decent game. He had a few tackles and several assists. I think he was pleased with his performance. I was. The weather was so nice Friday evening. It made it that much more enjoyable.

Before the game, Luke and Lydia arrived. I smoked some ribs, so we had a nice meal together mid afternoon. I have started using Famous Dave's Devil's Spit sauce on some of the ribs. I put a layer f honey under it, so I end up with sweet heat. Right before serving the ribs, I like to sprinkle them with just a little Kosher salt, which always amuses me. Think about it: Kosher salt on pork ribs. It all tasted pretty good! Ben and I had to leave late in the afternoon. I drove one of the team buses.

Saturday morning was so nice! A few of us gathered to run 10 miles. It was a really good morning for running, especially in the context of a very hot summer. It was around 60 degrees. I ran the last half faster than the first, which was a good confidence builder. I will share my data with you.

Rand, Kathy, John H., Lester, and Tim M. were in the group all or part of the time. Lester ended up with 20 miles. He, like me, like many others, is training for the Monumental Marathon November 3rd. He is going to try qualify for Boston, and I am going to try requalify. Not sure I will go, but I would like to qualify again.

Last night we celebrated Ben's upcoming 17th birthday. He will be 17 on the 17th, which is the day of the big Brownstown football game. I know what he wants for his birthday. Lester experienced a win over them his senior year. Ben would like to get one this year and next.

Combing with others, we bought Ben a shotgun for his birthday. I think he is going to hunt deer. Back in the day, as a teen, I was quite the avid outdoorsman, so it's fun watching him interested in the same things that interested me many years ago. I shot his 12 gauge a couple of times. I don't get the same thrill I used to. Oh well. Things change over the years.

No comments: