Monday, June 11, 2012

Monday morning

Good morning! Here we go again - a new week, a fresh start, so let's make it a good one! I think this week is going to be extra good for me. Luke came home (to Nashville) from Guatemala late Saturday night, so Kedra and I are going to down to see him this week. It will be a short visit, but we are looking forward to it. He starts his job on Thursday.

Well, I posted Saturday, using up a lot of my usual Monday material. We had a really nice day yesterday. I thought church went well, and we had a great lunch, as usual, at my parent's house. After that I headed out to Kenray Lake for a little open water action. Jim has some property there and is generous in sharing his time and water.

This was my second time in the open water. The first was a couple of weeks ago at the Me N Steve triathlon. I wore my wetsuit for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and I donned it the second time yesterday. I felt like I had a good day in the water yesterday. I went farther than I ever have, and I think I am making progress. There was another guy there yesterday, Brent. He is doing the Louisville Ironman this August. He is only in his 2nd year of swimming. He, like everyone else, was extremely encouraging and supportive.

I rushed from the lake to the shower at church, quickly hosing off before our life group met. We worked around the building last night, organizing for our Honduras trip, which is now less than 4 weeks away, and doing other little projects. Following our work, we met at El Compadre for some food. It's funny how more people show up for the food part than the work part. ha ha

Today we step further into the summer. I look at and use summer as a bit of slow-down, a time to rest a little, just like most people. I take a break from my usual approach to preaching, where I share the text with the church and meet to discuss it in advance of the sermon. Too many people are gone too often in the summer, including me. I'm also taking a break from my Think Along daily pieces. They will return when school starts. Even without those things, I stay plenty busy. My pace is often not dictated by me. Those two things are things I can control; not much else when it comes to needs, contact, requests. I'm not complaining!

Another thing I am taking a break from this summer is Facebook. I like Facebook quite a bit, but I can get sucked into wasting time there. I am not looking at newsfeeds or birthdays or anything beyond messages I might receive there. I can't ignore it totally because that is my only connection with some people. Fortunately if I have a message, there is a red flag at the top of the page to tell me that. I am still doing Twitter. That's where the majority of my endurance friends hangout.

OK, this day starts with a 10 mile run, and then it will just happen an activity and a person at a time. My goal: do good and be faithful in all things.

No comments: