Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Sad Songs


Some of you are going to think of this post all day long, because some of you are going to get a song stuck in your head. Ready?

Sad songs, they say, sad songs, they say, sad songs, they say, sad songs they say so much.

It’s true, and the Scriptures are full of them. In fact there is a whole category of Psalms classified as Psalms of Lament. And what about the Book of Lamentations? It’s a sad song, and it says a lot.

Sadness is a part of the human experience, and it’s OK to be sad from time to time. You would be odd not to be sad occasionally, in my opinion.

What’s interesting about lament in Scripture is that it usually ends up praising God. Lamentations 3 is typical.

I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the LORD'S great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."

Those sad songs sure say a lot.

No comments: