Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Holy Smokes, It's Wednesday


Some don't know this, but some people call me The Holy Smoker and some call the work I do as that person Holy Smokes Barbecue. OK, it's mostly me who uses that terminology, but if I don't, who will? Good morning Wednesday. Yes, I am smoking this morning. It's been a while, quite a while since I've smoked. I do find it relaxing and somewhat addictive.

Sometimes I smoke for Bible Camp. There is always some misunderstanding when the kids tell their parents who then communicate to others things like these.

"WELL, I heard that that liberal preacher from Mitchell was seen smoking out at Bible Camp!"

"Me too! I heard he hides behind the canteen and brags about smoking all day long!"

Anyway, today I am smoking meat, Boston Butts to be exact (and boy, the jokes that line up waiting to be told here are just too easy). They are really hard to light, those Boston Butts, but once you get them going... That was another joke, just in case you missed it. ANYWAY, I am smoking meat for Luke's graduation party in Nashville on Saturday. He graduates Saturday after an engineering ceremony on Friday. Nikki Arnold also graduates and is having her party with Luke/us.

Luke, after graduation, takes off for Guatemala for about a month. Then he comes back to a real civil engineering job with a large firm in Nashville. He/we are so blessed and thankful. While in Guatemala he hopes to help with the construction of the bridge that he designed for his senior project. I miss having Luke around here, a lot, but I'm very proud of him and the way he lives his life.

Smoking today will be a challenge. I will multi-task and work on several projects while glancing at the temperature gauge, but I have to leave for a little while this morning to do a graveside service. I know my smoker and it knows me. We have this mystical union thing, so I think I can get it set just right and let it coast while I am gone.

Yesterday, I carefully watched the weather, weighed out the work I needed to do and the nature of it, and decided that I would ride mid-morning, which looked like the only dry opportunity for the day. I had talked to Tim the Elder the night before about riding. It worked out for us to ride the Amish Loop together. What I didn't expect was those morning showers that dampened our way a little bit on the way back. We still had a good, enjoyable ride. My wrist, while sore, is getting better.

Better go. I smell smoke. Ah, and it smells so good!

No comments: