Thursday, March 08, 2012

Glorious Body

"I have the body of a god! Buddha is a god."

Are you satisfied with your body? From what I read and hear, most people aren’t. Why is that?

If we follow Jesus, then our bodies house the Holy Spirit of God and have been bought at a great price. We need to love our bodies and take care of them. Perfect bodies are rare, so let’s just give up on that idea.

The promise of God, in the resurrection, is that he "will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body." A glorious body! Finally!

Your body is already glorious in lots of ways, because you are fearfully and wonderfully made by God! You are his masterpiece!

How can you honor God with your body?

[For further reflection, read: Philippians 3:20,21; 1 Corinthians 6:19,20 & 15:35-58]

1 comment:

Jason Petty said...

This is a subject close to my heart. I'm not vain. I could care less how my hair looks. But when I study the Bible and meditate on scriptures about our body, diet, balance in life, etc., I see this thread: God gave you a body with a spirit to honor him. That involves every single part of our being (physical, emotional, spiritual, etc). Not everyone has been given a "perfect 10" in all of these "parts", and the physical body suffers a lot sometimes. We shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but if we don't pay attention to our body (what we see), what does that say about our desire to please God with what others can't see? It all belongs to God, and being a glutton, letting yourself go, and being non-chalant about our body separates us from God in that part of our life. My belief is that God wants us to do the absolute best with what he's given us. Just like someone with a severe learning disability can't be expected to understand certain things (even spiritual things), I don't expect someone with bad genes to look like Ryan Gosling. They (and I) should strive to look, think, and act like the best human God created us to be, even if that's still 50 lbs overweight by the world's standards. That's how I try to discern beauty in others and myself. Through the lens of God. How does he see you and your attitude toward these things?