Friday, March 09, 2012

Friday a.m.


You've heard of strawberry fields forever, right? How about cabbage fields for a short time? OK, even I know that that was not that funny. Hey, it's Friday, so you can let it go. This picture is from Guajire in Honduras, and it is a field of cabbage. I'm not sure how they rotate their crops, but cabbage was near harvest when were there. Corn had been harvested, dried, and was being shucked and shelled. Coffee also was being dried, after being picked. Last summer they were harvesting broccoli.

They get about the same amount of sunlight year round. I think the variation is only about 2 hours from the longest to the shortest of days, but the rainfall is probably the key. Our winter time corresponds pretty well, I think, to their dry season. Stuff to learn.

I'm pretty well fried, so I'm going to try take it easy today. I came back from Honduras about 10 days ago and hit the ground running and really haven't taken much of a break since. The combination of being behind in my work plus the tornado have kept me busy. Taking it easy simply means I will do other stuff all day -- stuff around the house that needs doing or some things I want to do.

Sermon prep went well yesterday, and I am almost ready for Sunday. Pat and I work well together; a synergy takes place. I have a few finishing touches on a few things, and then I can put it down until tomorrow night. I always go over everything on Saturday night and then again early Sunday. The clocks change this week, so I need to be prepared for that.

Yesterday morning I got run with the two Tims. I was ready to go a little after 7.30, about the time the monsoon broke! You should be proud and acknowledge that I actually waited a few minutes for it to pass. Once it let up, I took off. I came back and met the Tims for 5 miles, and then I finished on my own with 8.5 miles. I actually did not get too terribly soaked. I am now ready for 20 on Saturday. I am really looking forward to it!

When I arrived at the pool last night, there was a junior high meet going on. Waiting was called for. I waited until 8.30 and finally got in. It was a short night, but I think I made some more progress. I think learning Mandarin Chinese might be easier for me. Just kidding, but learning to swim is not easy, at least not for me. Perseverance!

I hope you have a good weekend.

No comments: