Saturday, January 07, 2012

Saturday afternoon


Yes, a rare Saturday post. It's been a good day and a sad day all at the same time. The sadness comes because we said good-bye to Luke and Rebecca. They both left for Lipscomb early this afternoon. The sadness was/is not too great, because they are doing well and are at great place and a great place in life. I'm very proud of them. I miss them already!

Their leaving was mitigated somewhat by a very brief visit with Lester and Maddie. We met them at Golden Gables parking lot shortly after we sent Luke and Rebecca off. Lester and Maddie bought a house in Bedford, and today it was inspected. Lester has a job in Bloomington waiting for him after he graduates in May. To say that we are thrilled about them moving back to this area wouldn't quite do the trick.

This morning I ran 15 miles, 10 of them with the group. I started a little after 7. It was a beautiful morning and a really good run. I had a quick breakfast with some of the group at McDonalds before coming home. A frequent topic today was the wheels pictured above. Why? Because they will soon be mine! Why? Let me explain.

These wheels are really, really nice bike wheels; expensive also. You can find them on the Internet from between $1000 to $2000! How can I possibly afford wheels like these, wheels worth more than my truck? I can't and would never pay that much for bike wheels. So how are they mine? Tri-Magazine.Net had a contest in December, an essay contest. The assignment was to write why I deserve them, so I wrote a piece, along with a poem. And I won! Amazing! [I'll share my essay after they publish it.]

Now I find myself the owner of a nice tri bike with amazing wheels. I am not worthy! Now I just have to get the bike motor to go faster! 

2 comments:

Jason Petty said...

That must have been one heck of a great poem and essay!! I saw the picture before I read the post and was thinking "Allen took a picture of these at a store, and much like Wayne Campbell with the guitar in the music store, he's saying "it will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine."" Those are sweet!! Congratulations!

Allen said...

Thanks, Jason!