Sunday, November 06, 2011

Monumental Day

So, we "fell back" over night? All that means for me is that I got up a little after 4 instead of a little after 5. It will take me a few days to get my body swung around. I think I have a harder time with the fall than I do the spring. Oh well...  The challenge for me this week will be staying up past the 9 p.m. Go ahead and laugh! It's OK.

Yesterday was the Monumental Marathon and half marathon. I ran the half as a hard training run and was pretty pleased with it. I ran with Tim Strunk, Mark  Ryan, and Lester my son, who was a bandit yesterday (did not enter the race). We had a nice time and stayed right around an 8 minute mile pace, which is exactly where I wanted to be. The weather, with the exception of the wind, was just about perfect for distance running.

There were two highlights of the day. First, Tim Galloway--a friend and frequent training partner--had an awesome half. He ran 1.33.56 and won his age group! He's had a great fall of training and racing. The other highlight was Rand Hammel. He ran 3.32.17 and qualified for Boston! We drove out and found him at mile 21. He looked good, and I thought he would qualify. It was awesome watching him come in! It brought back lots of memories from last year.

We had a nice time with Lester and Maddie Friday night and yesterday. After watching Rand finish and congratulating him, we walked downtown to PF Changs for a nice meal. It was a good way to finish our time in Indy.

My focus now is the Boston Marathon. Last night I started experimenting with a training plan. I am going to "officially" start training the first week in December. I hope to run 3.30 at Boston, which is a huge goal, due to my age and difficulty of the course. I am going to work hard toward the goal and see what happens.

No comments: