Friday, November 04, 2011

The Last Pick


I recently read this book by David McGillivray. He is the director of the Boston Marathon and has been for quite a while. I am slowing saturating myself with all things Boston. I hope to know the course and culture very well before I arrive in April of next year.

I found the book pretty interesting. I liked what he said about the marathon serving as a metaphor for life:

The marathon is an ideal metaphor for my life. It's challenging and difficult, but if you work hard and you're prepared, then it's manageable. I've run on that asphalt through heartache and also spent hours running alongside some incredible people. There are hills and valleys. The weather changes from year to year. Mostly, though, at the end of the day, it's up to me to get the job done.

No comments: