Thursday, September 01, 2011

Thursday Heat

It's the first day of September! And it's going to be HOT! I remember, several years ago, when we had Family Camp, out at Spring Mill Bible Camp, that Labor Day weekend was often really hot. I recall the first or second year that we had temps right around 100. Now I've got myself traveling down memory lane toward Family Camp...

Yesterday I drove a friend to court for a pre-sentence hearing. I am kinda intrigued by the whole legal process and think I might have enjoyed being a lawyer (insert jokes here). Really. Anyway, several people were sitting in the courtroom, just waiting for things to get started. I never saw a judge, so I think everything was taking place in his chambers. I know we were waiting for the results of meeting between the prosecutor and the defense attorney. My friend's son died and the person who helped with his death was in the room with us. It was tense and awkward. I know the father of the defendent. The result of the meeting was a delay and another meeting in November. My friend cried. Hard stuff.

While we were sitting there, I kept thinking about all the different people in the room. A lot of them were family and friends of people in trouble, and a lot of them looked pretty rough. One guy had a baseball cap on, which is no big deal in most contexts. I found it really interesting that a court official came over to him and told him, in a firm voice for all to hear, "Sir, please remove your hat." He did. It made me think of respect, reverence, 1 Cor. 11, and a bunch of other things.

Early yesterday morning I got some good speed work in. I'm not sure I can meet my lofty running goals that I stated a couple of days ago, but I am going to do what I can to make it happen. I am running out of time, since the Persimmon 5K is only 3 weeks away. It's early this year, due to the way the calendar falls. The Festival is the last full week of September.

Last night I got to baptize a couple of young men. We have had a lot of baptisms this year, which is so wonderful! A young girl told me last night that she wants to be baptized next Wednesday evening in the creek at Spring Mill Park. That will be great! I've baptized several out there. Busy day today that includes the beginning of writing my sermon for Sunday and a trip to Bloomington for someone's surgery.

No comments: