Thursday, September 01, 2011

Follow Me


I traveled down a lonely road,
And no one seemed to care,
The burden on my weary back,
Had bowed me to despair,
I oft complain to Jesus,
How folks were treating me,
And then I heard Him say so tenderly,

"My feet were also weary,
Upon the Calvary road;
The cross became so heavy,
I fell beneath the load,
Be faithful weary pilgrim the morning I can see,
Just lift your cross and follow close to Me.

"I work so hard for Jesus,"
I often boast and say,
"I've sacrificed a lot of things,
To walk the narrow way,
I gave up fame and fortune;
I'm worth a lot to the Thee,"
And then I hear Him gently say to me,

"I left the throne of glory,
And counted it but loss,
My hands were nailed in anger,
Upon on a cruel cross.
But now we'll make the journey,
With your hand safe in Mine,
So lift your cross and follow close to Me.

Oh, Jesus if I die upon,
A foreign field some day,
'Twould be no more than love demands,
No less could I repay.
"No greater love hath mortal man,
Than for a friend to die,"
These are the words He gently spoke to me:

If just a cup of water,
I place within your hand,
Then just a cup of water,
Is all that I demand,

But if by death to living,
They can Thy glory see,
I'll take my cross and follow close to Thee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I needed the reminder. Wish there were a like button on here!