Monday, April 18, 2011

Reliving the past

It was a good weekend. Saturday's unpleasant weather gave way to a pretty nice day on Sunday. We had a good worship assembly, followed by a good lunch and nap.

A couple of days ago I got an email from my freshman year college roommate, John. I hadn't really talked to him since 1981. He came to my wedding in 1984, but there were so many people and little time to talk. He said he was coming to the area with his brother for a funeral and thought he might try connect. Long story short: he came to our house yesterday afternoon. We had a most pleasant visit catching up on some of the last 30 years. It was so good to see him.

It was funny that he contacted me at this time. I think I recently told you about how Rebecca went through this funny ritual on Facebook of selecting a roommate for this fall at Lipscomb. Girls would quiz each other, share information, check each other out, and then if everything matched up, one of them would, with trepidation, ask, "Do you want to room together?" It was like some weird mating ritual. I told Rebecca that I got a letter in the mail telling me that my roommate was John who lived in Virginia. That was it. Times have changed.

After John left we made our way up the Family Life Center to celebrate Eugene and Bonnie Roberts' 50th wedding anniversary. I really like Eugene. He is good man, and does a lot of things. I work with him on Bryantsville Hunger Relief Project.

Could not sleep last night so I got up at 2 a.m. for a while. Got in the Lazy Boy chair around 4 for another hour or so. Gonna be a long day...

No comments: