Thursday, February 10, 2011

I do lots of dumb things, and I am pretty good at hiding them. I don't get caught often. This one I could not hide! My dumb thing made noise and other people were around. One heard, came running, and saw. Busted!

Yesterday around 5.30 I got in my truck, which was in the garage, preparing to return to church for our Wednesday Evening Meal. As I got in my truck my phone told me that a text had arrived. I fumbled around to read it; it was nothing. Well, actually it was a distraction. I put the phone down, put the truck in reverse and started backing out of the garage. Here's the problem/dumb thing: the garage door was still down. This is not good.

My Reese Hitch pushed on the defenseless old aluminium door, making a big bow. The door screamed out in pain. Rebecca came running. She looked at me, like a parent would look at an inexperienced child driving, and then exclaimed, "You hit the door! Didn't you know it was down?!?" She couldn't believe it (that anyone could be so dumb, and she used that tone). I just looked at her sheepishly. Wow, it was role reversal. Oh well.

Now the door is a mess. I got it bent back, but the rollers popped off one side. I got those back on and felt like it was fixed. Then I tried to raise and lower it. POP! CRACK! It's all out of alignment and the cable is off one side. Should be a fun-filled evening of garage door repair.

This is what I get for doing a dumb thing. I'm just glad I only get caught once in a while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, those closed garage doors are really hard to see....




Pat A

Allen said...

That's a really good point!

- Carrie Williams said...

It must have been in your "blind spot" :-D