Thursday, December 02, 2010

Thursday! Reminds me of the old joke about some old guys sittin' on the front porch of the nursing home. The first one says, "It sure is windy." After a few seconds of contemplation the second one says, "It's not Wednesday, it's Thursday." Then the thirds says, "I'm thirsty too. Let's get a drink!" I say this as I finish my second cup of coffee. This coffee has been especially enjoyable. Luke, for my birthday, brought home a bag of Starbucks Guatemalan beans. So good!

Today I will be working on my Mystery sermon. I hope it goes well; praying so. Last night's class was really good; lots and lots of conversation and ideas. We looked at the mystery of the birth of Jesus through the eyes of Joseph and Mary and wondered what it was like for them to reveal this mystery to their families. Can you imagine? If Mary's mother was alive, then I wonder how she reacted to the news of Mary's impending pregnancy? We wondered if Mary's 3 month trip to Elizabeth's house had anything to do with the reaction/response. Elizabeth would certainly understand, since she also was experiencing a miraculous conception/birth.

Mysteries revealed usually retain a mysterious quality, right? Joseph and Mary are told by angels some of what is going to happen, but certainly they did not understand it all. Who does, even now? We talked about how human testimony helps reveal that God's mysteries are to be believed. If Mary's mother was sceptical, then her scepticism slowly dissolved as various one testified. Joseph, Zachariah, and Elizabeth all could testify that God was up to something. It's all fascinating to think about.

Busy day ahead...

No comments: