Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thursday. Already? Again. Thursday means prep for Sunday for me. I mostly like it! This week is going to be considerably different because we have a really different kind of worship assembly planned for Sunday. I think it is going to be very powerful. We are going to have various ones speak about gratitude/thanksgiving. Some of them have suffered through some very difficult challenges.

Yesterday was a long but good day. I started at 5 and never slowed down until I got home around 8.30 last night. The good thing was that I never got sleepy or tired all day. Cutting my running down from 50 miles a week means I am requiring less sleep evidently, because I am not sleeping as much and seem to be doing fine. I plan to run 7 today and slowly ramp back up to a regular 10-12 miler. I don't want to lose the level of fitness that I have achieved. Maintain.

Yesterday I spent a considerable amount of time working on Honduras and the Give Thanks 4 road race. What a diverse man I am! I met with the Mayor and then with Chief of Police. They are both very supportive. The Mayor is going to come and start our race for us. I hope the city council doesn't show up. Just a little joke, there!

Kedra told me a really funny story last night. She said one of the teachers at school told her that the students were given an assignment to craft a resume. The teacher told them that they could make up stuff to include; she was more interested in the form than the content. The teacher told Kedra that one boy put this on his resume:

I was the Valid Victorian of my class.

As a friend of mine said last night, "It's better than being the IN-valid Victorian." There certainly are a lot of invalid victorians out there.

My class last night was about gratitude/thanksgiving. We briefly examined many passages about the subject, noting especially how often Jesus gave thanks. Interesting. The last part of the class was devoted to people sharing stories of thanksgiving; lots of powerful stuff. To me the most powerful was a mother whose son was killed many years ago in car wreck. She shared that she made the conscious, intentional decision to be thankful for the time that she had him, to celebrate all that he was, instead being bitter that he was gone. Thanks for teaching me a good lesson.

Better get busy! Gonna work hard, run after the rain moves out, and then I get to eat lunch with Kedra and my kids. My mom cooks lunch once a week at my sister's house for the kids, and we get to go. It's always so yummy. [Better run a couple of extra miles, now that I think about it.]

No comments: