Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday morning

Ah, Wednesday, the long day! It's really not that bad, because, while it is long, it is enjoyable. Not sure why but I got up earlier than usual today, right at 5 a.m. I slept well. I left the window by my bed open about 4 inches, so it got pretty chilly, which I really like. I seem to sleep better when I am on the verge of being cold. Oh well, more weirdness for you to take in.

Yesterday was enjoyable. I love a rainy day, especially when we are classified as "extreme drought." I went for a run yesterday morning before the rain came, and it was pretty decent. I got a lot of stuff organized and accomplished yesterday, including writing a letter to a woman in prison. She is a former student of mine who violated her probation. She is a wonderful person who made a mistake. I am trying to encourage her with regular letters.

Christmas is coming! This year I am going to preach a series of 4 sermons that focus on the season of Advent. We don't usually do this in my faith tradition, but I think everyone is going to enjoy it. I have invited other preachers from around the country to join me in this project. I think there are 6-8 of us working together. We will exchange research, study notes, ideas, and illustrations each week as we prepare our sermons. Then we will share our completed sermons with each other.

We are basing our series on 4 words: Waiting, Mystery, Redemption, and Incarnation. The series will be loosely based on This Book that records Dietrich Bonhoeffer's reflections on the Advent season. We will share his story and some of the letters he wrote from prison before Hitler ordered his execution. It's powerful stuff.

I got 4 free tickets to the IU basketball yesterday, but decided I really didn't want to go. Rebecca, Ben, and two friends went. They had a good time I think. I had a better time sitting in my cozy house reading and watching the game on TV. Yes, I am old.

OK, better get after it!

No comments: