Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday


It has been a good day so far, and there is more to come. I left the house a little after 6.30 to meet some people to run at 7. I got there a little early. John H., Tim B., and Robin D. were already there. As I was visiting with them, I looked over at my truck. The rear driver side tire looked low. "It'll be fine - it's only flat on one side." As I moved over to inspect it, I heard the hissing sound that signaled that not all would be fine for long.

I fumbled around and found the jack and got it under the axle, saving me from having to jack it all the way from completely flat status. The Hammels and Bill D. showed up, and we all took off on run that would bring us back at 8 a.m. to connect with the group that would show up then. The pace was quick and the conversation good; the weather was perfect. I'm still feeling the fatigue from the trauma of the marathon and the half-marathon collaspe last Saturday. I decided that I would forgo the 10 miler that I had planned. I ended up with a little more than 5 miles. Enough for now.

We arrived back at the truck well before 8 and started visiting with the 8 a.m. group. I started loosening lug nuts and getting ready for the big change. Several offered to help, but I encouraged them to go run. After they left I got busy. It wasn't an easy change, thanks to the Reese hitch. It was in the way in a couple of ways. Thanks to a pair of cheap channel lock pliers I was able to get the spare down and on. It took me about half an hour to get it all done. Now a trip to Tieman's is in my immediate future. Ain't the spare perdy, though?

Worked in the yard today. It was relaxing. I took out my old smoker and gave it to my nephew, Matthew. He was happy! I delivered it and gave him a bunch of hickory wood to use. Kedra and I created a flower bed where the smoker was. We thinned out some flowers from church and moved them here.

This evening we have a little family party planned for Rebecca. Should be good.

We have not heard directly from Luke in Central America, but we did get an email from someone who had spoken to a team leader. The report is that everyone is healthy and that the construction is going well.

How do you like my bike? I think I am going to love it! I can't ride it properly just yet because I don't have the right shoes. I ordered them; they should be here Monday. I hope to ride with a bunch of people Tuesday evening from Spring Mill Park. They have a regular 32 mile route. I will probably only do part of it initially. They do 10 miles of pace line riding (averaging more than 20 m.p.h.), and I'm not ready for that yet.

No comments: