Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday evening

I hope the rainy day and the Monday didn't get you down! You don't want me to the sing the song do you? I don't mind this weather too much, but I will be glad to see the sun and feel the warmth again.

We had a surprisingly nice turn out for our bike ride and picnic last night. We had right at a dozen people start out from the church building for the Park. A few took the shortest route, which was less than 10 miles. A few more of us took off on a longer route, and then we extended it a little further, ending up with a little more than 12 miles. I was really pleased with my bike, even without the proper shoes. At one point Ryan T. came up from behind and said that I was riding 23 m.p.h. Surprising. Later he helped me fix my computer so I now I can tell how fast I am going.

The picnic was good! In spite of the weather there were about 50 people there. We had a fire in the fireplace and a good hot grill.

Today I spent some time starting the construction of a wheelchair ramp for a classmate of Ben's who was in an accident. He will be in a wheelchair for quite a while. I went to Lowes to get all the lumber and supplies. There I ran into one of my former students from OCU-B. He works there part time to help pay bills. It was nice to see him.

I took Redneck Roger (pictured above), my deaf neighbor, with me to set the posts for the ramp. He is pretty lonely, I think. He enjoyed helping me, and I appreciated his help. It rained on us a couple of times but it was light.

We still haven't heard from Luke in Guatemala, but today we were pointed to a neat article in the Tennessean about the work he is involved in with Lipscomb.

Started studying today for the next Commandment: Do not murder. This could be a surprising one. Most of us think that this is the one that least likely applies to us. Right? Hmmm. We'll see...

No comments: