Thursday, April 08, 2010

Libby walked!

Last night after my Bible study I made my way down to the Family Life Center, which was rapidly filling up with junk... I mean valuable items for our Honduras yard sale. Lots and lots of stuff; some very interesting stuff like guns. Real guns! And a boat is on the way! A real boat.

As I was walking around looking at all the valuable items, Libby Holmes called out my name. I went over and we talked a little bit. Her school principle, Dan, had said to say "hello"; Dan and I run together some. Libby seemed very happy. I finished chatting with her, not realizing there was more to tell.

A few minutes later, Carrie, Libby's mom, called me over. "Libby has something she wants to tell you." Both Carrie and Libby were smiling huge smiles. Libby then announced with joyful exuberance, “I walked!” She went on to tell how she had taken a few steps without her walker or any other assistance! Wow! I told her that many many prayers are being answered with her progress. Surgery after surgery; prayer after prayer. It really is amazing! Carrie and Trent are just wonderful parents who have endured so much, and their faith-full optimism is contagious.

I have a friend in New Zealand, Grant, who was born with spina bifida; his is more crippling than Libby’s. He has been in a wheelchair all his life. He is a wonderful guy and was a key part of our church family in Auckland. One time in a Bible study he talked about his concept of Heaven. He said he looked forward to the day that he would jump up out of his wheel chair and run across beautiful green grass. I told Libby that she already was getting a jump on the body that will one day be hers in Heaven: complete and whole.

Pretty neat stuff!

No comments: