Saturday, April 10, 2010

Ready to Go!

I think--make that I believe--I am ready to qualify for the Boston Marathon two weeks from today at the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon. With the help of some good friends and runners I completed my 5th 20 miler of this training circuit, and I was able to do it at an 8.03 pace, which is considerably faster than I have to run the marathon. If I can run this pace for 20 at Louisville, then it gives me a good cushion or time in the bank for completing the last 6.2 miles.

Now I am in a strict tapering mode. I will do one more tempo run on Tuesday evening, and then the rest of it is easy stuff. I'll do 10-12 miles next Saturday. The key now is careful eating and staying healthy in all ways. I'll also continue carefully watching the weather forecast. Right now it calls for a cloudy day starting in the 40s and ending in the low 60s. That would be perfect! But there is a lot of time for the forecast to change. I'm prepared for anything; cool is much better than hot.

Right now I am at our big Help for Honduras yard sale. Wow, we have lots of stuff left, but we have sold tons of stuff. We are blessed to have the Regeneration truck to load. A lot of the leftovers will be sold at the store. We'll bag up all the clothes and plan to ship them to Honduras, along with medical supplies and 400 bushels of corn. I have to find a way to get all this to Nashville. Any semi drivers in the audience today? Semi drivers would like to donate their truck and time?

Life is good! The weather is great and getting better. I am looking forward to worship tomorrow. I am starting a series of lessons on the 10 Commandments. I have entitled the series, "Reading the 10 Commandments with Jesus." To put it in fancy terms: We want a Christological view of the 10 commands. But we plan not to ignore the original context and intent. I'm pretty excited about it.

1 comment:

Allen said...

I talked to Lester and he told me about his 15K in Indy today. He signed up with a group training for the mini. He has run their 5K and 10K. Today he finished the 15K in 1.04.30. That's really good.

Ben went today and ran a 12 miler. That's the farthest he has ever run. He's going to do well at his first mini.

Luke is doing a different kind of running today. He is at Clemson University racing the Baja car that he and other Lipscomb engineers constructed "from scratch." We haven't too much from him yet. I would love to be there to watch him.