Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I love bacon!




What you have in these pictures are some very interesting uses for bacon, along with one conventional use (huge sandwich with one pound of bacon). The two other uses are a mug made of bacon, filled with cheese, and the other one is a wonderful mixture of smokey links combined with bacon to make little turtles.

For a long time I have said that bacon is the universal meat. Think about it! It goes with just about anything and always makes whatever you are eating better.

One time, a few years ago, at a Christmas party Kedra did something terrible. She still takes grief for it. She wasted bacon! How? She wrapped dates (the little nut or fruit or whatever they are; not people) with it! All the real men at the party were visibly upset to see bacon used in this manner. There were, however, a couple "girly men" who thought it was a good idea. I have generally stayed away from those guys since that evening. Not to be trusted.

Some of my favorite bacon memories come from a few years ago. When the boys were younger we had season tickets to the IU football games. Before the games we would tailgate in the North Central Church parking lot. I would fry/smoke 2-3 pounds of bacon with my little grill. We would eat that while I was grilling the hamburgers. Of course they were topped with bacon as well. You can ask the boys, and I think they will tell you that we had some good eating in those days. Bacoon burgers, chips, Pepsi, Coke, candy bars, etc. - no vegatables or fruits (and I don't mean the guys who liked the dates wrapped in bacon; I mean things like apples.).

I know as a guy striving to qualify for the Boston Marathon that I should not eat bacon, but, hey, nobody is perfect! I have cut down my consumption considerbly, but I'm thinking come the evening of April 24 that one of sandwiches pictured above might just be the ticket. Maybe one of those followed by one of those turtles. Not sure about the bacon mug full of cheese; might be worth trying though.

I have a lot of bacon memories/experiences. I have eaten it in many countries, including Australia, New Zealand, Russia, and Greece. I have even eaten it in Turkey - a Muslim country that forbids pork. Now, that was cool; felt like I was doing something dangerous. I could imagine someone was going to burst in the room and say, "Stop! You bacon-eating infidel!! You must die!!"

Please feel free to share your favorite bacon memories.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bacon is the best, I have fond memories of bacon and continue to make them today. Bacon makes everything better. There is a convenience store just South of North Central on Dunn. They make the best BLT, huge sandwich. I may have to go get one today.

Eating bacon in Turkey, You are such a rebel...lol

Pat

Unknown said...

Ah, a fellow baconista. It has to be crisp bacon though...right?

Mike C.

Allen said...

Well... I kinda like it "chewy," as my kids describe it. I am the only one in my family who likes it this way.

Anthony said...

I kept waiting for "the point." Finally figured out that bacon is the point.

Allen said...

Bacon is the point, indeed.