Monday, February 22, 2010

Undercover Boss

Have you seen this new show? I watched it last night. I didn't really plan to, but once I saw it I was hooked. This may become a regular show that I watch. The basic idea is that CEO of the corporation goes undercover to take entry level positions within the company. Here is the official description.

Why? To find out what life is "really like" within the corporation, with a view of improving the corporation's success. For a slightly cynical, skeptical view of the show you can read this. And they do make some good points, but still...

The whole thing really reminds me of the incarnation of Jesus. You know what John 1 says? About the Word being God, etc., and then in verse 14 it says, "the Word became flesh and lived among us." The Greek literally talks about him "pitching his tent" with us. Eugene Peterson paraphrases it by saying, "God moved into the neighborhood." God descends in human form to live among us - that's what Jesus is about. Why? In some ways to understand what life as a human is like. Isn't that the point that the writer of Hebrews makes at the end of chapter 2 and 4?

But there's more of course. Another aspect is to show us what God wants us as humans to be like. In Matthew 5 Jesus talks about how he came to fulfill all Scripture. In other words, he is going to show us what God's desire/intention is like when lived out in a human body in a human context. Our goal as individuals and as a church should be the same.

Another aspect is the sacrificial death of Jesus. Since he lives out the human existence perfectly, he is able to become a sacrifice for those who can't, which is all of us. Since he satisfies the "requirements" of God's holiness, we, through a relationship with Jesus, can be brought into relationship with God that will last forever, untouched by physical death.

It all starts with God going "undercover" here on earth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We watched that show last night for the first time as well. I was very intrigued with the CEO. I was surprised at his attitude and demeanor, maybe I am too cynical at times. I like how you relate the show to the Good News Of Jesus.

Great thoughts, Pat Arthur

Allen said...

The CEO was very likeable; seems like the real deal. Of course it's easier to be that way when cameras are following you around. I guess that comment was a little cynical, wasn't it? ha ha.

Thanks for your comment, Pat.

Anonymous said...

I have watched for a couple of weeks and am probably hooked.
Being a Christian does not require that I go undercover,but it can require that I get out of my comfort zone and meet others on their turf!The CEO showed Compassion to the workers,because of their difficulties and struggles.I am so grateful God has compassion,Grace and mercy for a sinner like me.

Thanks,
Don England