Thursday, February 25, 2010

Finally Back

It's been quite a busy week! And it's still not over. Oh well... One day at a time.

We had a good funeral today for a really good man. I was speaking with a friend this morning about the funeral, and I was telling him that funerals are really my favorite thing to do in some ways. Now, before you jump to conclusions about me, please listen to why I say that.

Sunday preaching is enjoyable for me, but sometimes it is really hard to know who it is I'm talking to. Generally you go for a "shot gun" approach, trying to reach a lot of different people, hoping somebody will connect with the message. A funeral is so very specific--directed to one person and his/her family. It is a wonderful opportunity to really encourage, provide hope, and proclaim the reality of our faith.

* * *

My son Luke is in Guatemala this evening. He is going there in May on a mission trip with Lipscomb’s engineering department. They are going to build a mission compound for a group doing humanitarian work. Why is he there now? Because he was asked to go on the scout trip with his professor and a few others. Luke has switched to civil engineering and is taking a surveying class. I guess the professor liked his surveying work and asked him to go for the weekend. They are going to survey and figure out where the buildings will be built. He returns some time on Monday. He’s enjoying 80 degree temps.

* * *

OK, you know I like winter and snow, but I’ll confess I am ready for something besides 20s and 30s! I’m ready for spring or at least some 50 degree days. I went out early this morning to squeeze in a 12 mile run before the funeral. It was cold! Thankfully I had a good friend, Tim, to help distract me.

I am running a 10K on Saturday; not sure what I can or will do. I’ll just go out and see what happens. Ben is going to run it also. He’s training for the mini in Indy, and he’s doing really well. He goes out after school each day and runs 3-5 miles. Lester is training hard as well. He’s looking very strong and seems very motivated.

* * *

Need to get back to this week’s sermon...

No comments: