Saturday, February 27, 2010

Running Fun!




Ben and I (don’t we both really look smart in that picture? Wow. Duh . . .) ran the Let’s Go 10K this morning. This was Ben’s first 10K and the farthest he has ever run, and he has only been training for a couple of weeks. He did really well, completing the run in 56.04, which is a 9.01 pace. He is going to improve rapidly and dramatically. He’s off to a great start.

My run went well also. I completed the course in 45.13, which is a 7.16 pace. I was pretty pleased with it, especially since it was more than 2.5 minutes faster than my time in the same race last year. The weight loss and consistent training is continuing to pay good dividends. The marathon in Louisville is 55 days away (8 weeks), so I have time to keep working hard to qualify for Boston, which is the biggest item on my “bucket list.”

We heard from Luke this morning, via email. He is in Guatemala. He wrote this:

We went out to the valley today, it was incredibly beautiful and rugged. We climbed all over the mountains, I bet 5 miles, at a mile high. I'm quite out of shape.

I’m a little concerned about him being there after hearing of the Chilean earthquake. I am concerned about the disruption of all travel in the larger region, and, more significantly, I believe there is major fault line that runs through Guatemala (and Honduras). I hope the quake in Chile doesn’t loosen up something in that fault line. I’m no geologist, so I really don’t know how all that works, but it seems that there has been a lot of seismic activity lately.

We are going to Indy this afternoon to see Lester and Maddie. It is a little bit of a belated birthday dinner. Kedra’s parents are here and want to see where Lester and Maddie live.

It’s been a good day so far, and it is going to get better! I love seeing my kids.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little hello from Pa.

Just received an email from Pat A. and it made me think of you all.

I still miss everyone from MCOC and I hope you are all doing well.

Much Love to All, Annette

Allen said...

Hi Annette!

It's great to hear from you. I think you often and wonder how you are doing.

So, how's life in PA?

Allen said...

From Annette:

Busy is the first thing that comes to mind. It hasn't quite worked out like I imagined, but of course thats how things happen sometimes.

I am happy I have moved here but it has made life very messy, I guess I could say. One wonderful thing about all the conflicts and trials is that hard as it has been at times, it has helped Luke get a much better perspective on 'real life' vs 'its all about me'. He needed a reality check and it has helped him more than all the counseling he has received for years. Praise God! For all the bashing I got from some areas about moving here, it helps me to realize oh so often how we have to keep in mind that we see the underside of the tapistry and you have to take life one day at a time and let God work.

It is amazing how linked people stay in your minds and hearts even after you move away and don't see them for sometimes years at a time.
I also think about you and the rest of the church family so very much. My life was impacted in so many wonderful ways from life at MCOC and sharing in the studying and fellowship there. I feel like my baby steps grew into a walk there.

I don't get on the computer much these days, however when I do check into this website I really miss ryan, donna and all the rest of the people who used to blog all the time. Whats up with that?

I have to get to work, but please tell everyone I said hi, especially wayne ( I miss him so much from class) and your mother.

Much Love to All, Annette

Anonymous said...

Hey Annette!!
Miss seeing and reading your blogs too. I just havent been in the blogging mood for a while. at work we had a lot of crack downs on this kind of stuff. when at home i get side tracked. usually just stop by allen's sight to see what he has to say. humbled to know i made an impression on you. hope all is and continues to go well for you and luke. rhonna and i were talking about luke the other day.
RR