Monday, November 02, 2009

Family

I thought yesterday's worship was good. The sermon received a lot of good feedback, which is encouraging. I always go back over everything in my mind, and there are always things I wish I would have said or said diffently. Oh well...

The thing I might have changed about yesterday is to make more clear this: If we are submitting to the Lordship of Jesus, then working out our roles in marriage, while sometimes difficult, will not be too unpleasant. I think it looks different for each relationship.

It does little good to discuss specific gender roles unless and until it is framed by the Lordship of Christ. That's my view anyway. To approach the other way leads to what we commonly see: fights, disputes, division. Clearly that is not God's intent.

This week we turn toward kids and parenting. Should be interesting. The text is Ephesians 6:1-4. Read it and tell me what you think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allen,
I thought the lesson really hit home for me. I have heard the same old, same old, "Oh yeah, the preacher said you are to submit to me." Which of course is responded to with, "Oh yeah, you are to love me like Christ loves the church." Hearing the passage from a different perspective was refreshing and it gave our Lifegroup some good conversation. Thank you!!!!
- John Hudson

Allen said...

Thank you, kind sir!

You guys do a great job with your kids, which is our topic this week.