Monday, November 02, 2009

Books, books, books...

Been reading a lot lately. I always try to read a fair amount (book per week), but I've been picking up the pace lately (pun intended). A good friend gave me a copy of "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. I zipped right throught it (unlike some books on theology).

It's about the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico and their amazing ability to run long distances. The book weaves lots of interesting stuff together. I guess that's why it turned out to be a "national best seller," well, at least that's what it says on the book.

Usually I don't read several books at the same time, but I am trying that presently. It's working out pretty well. I am reading 2-3 of Henri Nouwen books (The Only Necessary Thing, The Inner Voice of Love, and In the Name of Jesus). I'm reading them just a little at a time, sometimes as a part of my morning "Be Still" time. I'm also reading Rick Warren's "Purpose Driven Life" in the same way. I didn't read it back when everyone else was. I picked up a free copy at ReGeneration. It has a lot of good stuff to say, especially for people new to The Faith. I am gathering some sayings for our church sign from it!

Randy Harris has a nice little book out, "God Work - Confessions of a Standup Theologian." Randy is hilarious, and he has written as he speaks. Funny. Profound.

As part of my "appreciation" gift from church, I received a $50 gift card for Amazon. I shared that with Kedra but was still able to order 3 books. They should be here this week. And with a birthday and Christmas coming up, I am hoping the old Wish List (you can actually click on it on this page - under links) will get reduced even further. ha ha ha.

What are you guys reading?

No comments: