Friday, February 15, 2008

You need to pray harder for my health, please; still struggling some. In spite of not feeling too well I really enjoyed the day.

I went out this morning and walked around, eventually making my way to the The Agora. This is where Paul spent a lot of time while waiting on his traveling companions. It wasn’t hard to imagine all the activity of business and barter, especially when I witnessed a modern version of it this afternoon.

There is a museum located in the Agora. I have included a few photos of specific interest in the slide show below. The interested parties will be young mothers and old men who like to grill meat. You’ll see...

After a couple of hours of walking around in beautiful, warm, early spring, sunshine I was very tired, so I made my way back for a time of rest. I could stay down long, however. The weather was simply too inviting. It was about 60 and perfectly sunny.

This afternoon I made my way to Filopappos Hill or “The Hill of the Muses.” This is where poets of antiquity found inspiration. The great philosophers of antiquity also spent time on this hill. Tradition says that Socrates drank hemlock in a prison-cave located on this interesting mound, which also provides a stunning view of the Acropolis. I found inspiration here, inspiration to keep walking. I made a fairly large loop around the streets that surround the Acropolis. The streets and their many cafes were full of Greeks soaking up the sun, drinking various beverages while snacking on (to me) somewhat unfamiliar food. It was just wonderful! I only wish Kedra was here.

I am really enjoying Athens and am glad that I have a couple more days to explore...

Here are some pictures for you: