Thursday, February 14, 2008

Athens, Greece

Sorry about not connecting with you yesterday, but I spent most of the day in bed. I still don’t feel well, but I am up and trying to function. I think (hoping) I am better.

You may have heard about the earthquake that happened here this morning. You can read about it Here. Obviously I am OK, and I guess I missed experiencing it altogether. I didn’t feel anything, which is a shame. If you’re going to be in an earthquake, then you should get to feel it, right?

Today I went on a quick tour of Athens. I met a couple of interesting people on the tour. The first guy was from Israel. He is in Athens to follow the Israeli professional basketball team; they play Greece tonight, I think. He follows them to all their away games and has for years. I asked him, “Do you remember a player from a few years ago, J.J. Eubanks?” With great enthusiasm he said, “Oh yes!!” With my chest appropriately puffed I said, “He’s a good friend of mine.” Small world.

I also talked quite a bit with a man named Russell who was traveling with his wife Wendy. They are from New Zealand. We talked quite a bit about church. They are strong believers and are a part of a house church movement. They are staying where I am, so I hope to talk further with them.

Our tour took us to a few places around Athens, but clearly the highlight of the tour is The Acropolis [Click on the link for lots of good information and pictures.] A lot of the buildings, including the Parthenon, are covered in scaffolding as a long-term project of restoration is underway.

I really enjoyed standing on “Mars Hills” or the Areopagus. This of course is where Paul stood as he addressed the philosophers and others of Athens and proclaimed the message of Christ. It was awesome standing literally where Paul stood about 2,000 years ago. Undoubtedly he looked up at the Parthenon and the other buildings that been there for about 500 years before he was born. Amazing things to think about.

I got really tired after standing on the Areopagus for awhile (I had to preach to the pagan Athenians; just kidding), so I took the 5 minute walk back to my room. As I was walking down the beautiful narrow street, it dawned on me that Paul could have stayed in the same hotel. Just kidding.

I will return to the area tomorrow. There is much more to see and experience.

I would appreciate your prayers for a quick and full recovery of my health.

Here are some pictures from today.