Saturday, February 16, 2008

What It’s All About

Last night a minister from the Church of Christ in Athens came by to see me. I had been in correspondence with Dino Roussos for a few weeks, so it was good to meet him face to face. Dino is a Grecian who has a true heart for the Lord.

The church here is very interesting. Athens is very cosmopolitan, and the church reflects that. On Sundays they have the following assemblies:

Greek 10-12
Bulgarian 1-3
Russian 4-5
English 6-8

I plan to attend the Russian and English assemblies tomorrow. The English assembly comprises a lot of people from the continent of Africa. Interesting.

As Dino and I talked last night about many things, he told me that he had a Bible study a little later on with a guy who had been coming to the Russian assembly. When I asked questions, Dino said, “Do you want to go with me?” I said, “Sure.”

Just riding in a car in Greece is quite an experience. Narrow streets. Cars constantly beeping at one another. Dart. Dive. Drive. Crazy. Chaos.

We made it safely, and I was warmly welcomed into the man’s apartment. His name is Gregory, an Armenian. He lives in Athens with his mother, brother and sister-in-law, and their baby. Gregory is trying to get his wife and son to Greece, but immigration laws have kept them out so far.

Gregory believes in Jesus, and his desire is to know him better. He spoke with passion, in Greek, about his desire to be a better follower of Christ. He and Dino dialogued, and I listened to their hearts. I was moved by the whole experience.

Gregory wants prayers for his walk with the Lord and for the safe immigration of his family. Will you pray for him? He and Dino are going to continue to meet to study the Bible. I hope to see Gregory on Sunday.