Thursday, February 28, 2008

Last Day in Ephesus

Actually I didn’t go to the site today. Instead I spent a few hours around the town of Selcuk. If I understand correctly, Ephesus used to be here, many centuries before Christ was born but moved due to the silting of the harbor and the manipulation of a ruler, Lysimakos. Today Selcuk has a population of around 25,000 people, although to me it doesn’t feel that large. Compare this number to the 200,000 - 400,000 that ancient Ephesus had.

I started my day at the site of The Basilica of St. John. Tradition says that John and Mary, the mother of Jesus, moved to Ephesus. John brought her here, fulfilling his vow at the cross to take care of Mary. I saw the house of Mary the other day (see previous blog), and today I stood at the supposed site of John’s tomb. Who knows?

All I know is that I really enjoyed this site, which is mostly in a state of ruin. I did have a little trouble with a man trying to get me to give him money. He said he was a caretaker, and I believed him; we chatted. He then started showing me around, took my picture, etc. I began to realize that he was not legitimate. About that time a security guard came up and started raising his voice at him. I thought the guy was gone, but the next thing I know he showed up again, showing me coins. I just said no, and he finally left. After that I spend a considerable time enjoying the peace and quiet of this place.

After I left St. John’s I wandered the streets of Selcuk for a while. It was a wonderful way to end my time in this part of the country. I enjoyed watching the people. I walked to the edge of town and found some people working in a field. Actually they were having lunch, so I don’t really know what they were doing.

I came back to my hotel a little earlier today. I am beginning the preparation for going back to Istanbul tomorrow.

You might be a redneck if...
...You have done laundry in a hotel bathtub.
You might be a high-tech redneck if...
...you use the “Jacuzzi jets” to get a nice deep clean.
You might be a clever high-tech redneck if...
You use the supplied hair dryer to heat the closet where the wet clothes are hanging.
Enough said, perhaps.

After tonight I have 3 nights in Istanbul. There I will gather my thoughts, revisit a few places of interest, and prepare for the journey home. I am eager to come home. I don’t think Kedra and the kids and I have ever been apart this long. The absence has certainly made my heart grow fonder. I can’t wait to see all of them Monday night.

Thanks for reading this blog and sharing in my life and adventure. It means a lot to me.

Some pictures from today: